Dr. Eddie Bland
Bridgeport ISD Superintendent
Dr. Eddie Bland has been superintendent of Bridgeport ISD since 2006. Prior to coming to BISD, he was superintendent in Haskell CISD for four years. He has 23 years in education and has made a significant impact on the education of Bridgeport ISD students and students in public schools throughout Texas.
Known as an educational leader, Dr. Bland has led Bridgeport ISD in implementing numerous innovative and instructional programs:
- Implemented the Gomez and Gomez Two Way Dual Language in 2013. English Language Learners and English speaking students study together most of the day. In their classes, students learn through academic content instruction in both languages. A central goal is that all students become proficient in using two languages for communication and learning.
- Activated Professional Learning Communities on all campuses in 2011. PLCs provide collaboration time and job-embedded learning for educators.
- Began Project Based Learning (PBL) for grades K-12 in 2012. PBL helps students apply what they learn to real-life experiences and provides an all-around enriching education.
- Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol - these instructional techniques are designed to help make content material understandable to English Language Learners, who are special education students.
- Worked with the district facilities committee to develop construction needs for the district, with voters approving a $15 million bond package in 2009.
- Negotiated inter-local agreements with the City of Bridgeport, which includes after school and summer programs operated by the city in district facilities and staffing full-time school resource officers at no cost to the district.
- The district has received approximately $1.18 million in state and private foundation grants during the last five years.
- Dr. Bland was appointed to the Bridgeport Economic Development Corporation Board of Directors, and served as president for two years.
Prior to entering public education, Dr. Bland worked for eleven years in the DFW area as a commercial real estate broker, homebuilder and developer.
Contact the Superintendent's office:
(940) 683-5124 or fax at (940) 683-4268