MASKS AND FACE COVERINGS
- For the purposes of this document, masks include non-medical grade disposable face masks and cloth face coverings (over the nose and mouth). Full-face shields may be used in place of a mask to protect eyes, nose, and mouth whenever a mask is not feasible or whenever the educational context may benefit from the ability to see an individual’s full face.
- BISD will continue to require face coverings for students and staff. The School Board will continue to evalutate based on case data.
- Students in pre-K through second grade will wear face coverings in hallways, common areas and during arrival and dismissal.
- Students in third through fifth grade will wear face coverings in the classroom, hallways, and common areas when social distancing is not possible.
- Students in sixth through twelfth grade will wear face coverings in the classroom, hallways, and common areas when social distancing is not possible.
- Students’ individual needs will be addressed on a case by case basis. Requests for accommodation should be submitted to campus administration.
- It may be impractical for students to wear masks or face shields while participating in some athletic or other extracurricular activities. When it is impractical for students to wear masks or face shields during those activities, schools will require students, teachers, staff, and visitors to wear masks or face shields when entering and exiting facilities and practice areas and when not actively engaging in those activities. Schools will allow students who are actively exercising to remove masks or face shields, as long as they maintain at least six feet of distance from other students, teachers, and staff who are not wearing masks or face shields.