STUDENT SAFETY TIPS
- Remember the Bus Rules and Safety Tips are for your safety and the safety of others*
- Be on time at the bus stop. Students should be present at their stop at least (5) minutes before bus pick -up time.
Waiting For the Bus
- Stand out of the way of traffic, stand at least 10 feet (5 giant steps) from the road while waiting for the bus.
- Students living on the opposite side of the road from their bus stop need to wait on their side of the road until the bus arrives. Watch for the red flashing lights and for the bus drivers' signal that it is safe to cross.
- Always cross the street in front of the bus. Never behind the bus.
- Students should not push or shove others while at the bus stop.
- Stand well away from the road as the bus approaches.
- Do not run towards or alongside the bus when the bus is moving. Wait until the bus stops; then walk to the door and board the bus in an orderly manner.
- Hold the handrail while going up and down the bus stairs.
Respect The Danger Zone
The "Danger Zone" is an area 10 feet from each side of the bus,10 feet from the front of the bus and 10 feet from the back of the bus.
Remember this area is dangerous because the driver may not be able to see you.
Riding In the Bus
- Be seated immediately, and remain seated while the bus is moving.
- Follow all school bus rules and remember to always follow the bus drivers instruction.
- Always be silent when a bus comes to a railroad crossing, so that the driver can hear if a train is coming.
Exiting the Bus
- If a student lives on the opposite side of the road from the bus stop: As the student exits the bus the student will need to step away from the side of bus, turn towards the front of bus and take 8 giant steps forward and then stop. Look at the bus driver and wait until the driver gives the signal that it is safe to cross the road.
- If you leave something on the bus, never return to the bus to get it. The driver may not see you come back and may begin moving the bus.
- If you drop something near the bus, tell the bus driver: never go after it yourself.
- Never speak to strangers at the bus stop and never get into a car with a stranger. Always go straight home. Tell your parents, the bus driver and the principal if a stranger tries to talk to you or pick you up after you have left the bus.