School Health Advisory Council
Bridgeport ISD School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)
The School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) is a group of individuals representing segments of the Bridgeport community, appointed by the school district and Board of Trustees to serve at the district level, to provide advice to the district on coordinated school health programming and its impact on student health and learning.
The SHAC provides an efficient, effective structure for creating and implementing age-appropriate, sequential health education programs, and early intervention and prevention strategies that can easily be supported by local families and community stakeholders.
Bridgeport ISD SHAC Vision and Mission
Vision: Healthy Body, Healthy Mind, Successful Life
Mission: The School Health Advisory Council of Bridgeport ISD will support and encourage the community within the schools to enhance the health and wellness of all individuals so they can be productive students and staff members.
How does the SHAC help Bridgeport ISD Students?
The SHAC is instrumental in improving student health and creating healthy schools by:
- Helping all BISD schools meet community involvement mandates and community expectations,
- Providing a way for community members to work together with school personnel to accomplish district goals,
- Utilizing community resources and assets,
- Influencing people within a community to be a credible, collective voice for healthy children and youth,
- Providing a forum for sharing youth health information, resources, perspectives and a range of advice,
- Fostering member’s personal satisfaction and understanding of their role in strengthening their community by supporting coordinated school health, and
- Fostering cooperation by building trust and consensus among grassroots organizations, community segments, and diverse citizens.
What are the Responsibilities of the SHAC?
The SHAC must address the responsibilities outlined in Title 2, Chapter 28, Section 28.004 of the Texas Education Code. However, the BISD SHAC strives to address all eight components of a coordinated school health program as listed here:
- health instruction,
- healthy school environment,
- health services,
- physical education,
- school counseling,
- food service,
- school site health promotion for faculty and staff; and,
- involvement with parents and the community.
When does the SHAC Meet?
The BISD SHAC Meetings are held at specific Bridgeport ISD meeting spaces. The meetings are held at 4:30 PM and scheduled at least four times throughout the school year. All meetings are open to the public. Notifications will be posted on the website and in the central office.2023-2024 BISD SHAC CommitteeBISD SHAC Sub-CommitteesCounseling & Social Emotional WellnessEmployee Wellness & EducationNutrition, Physical, & Health EducationStudent & Community Health Promotion2023-2024 SHAC Meeting DatesDecember 18: Meeting Agenda, Attendance, MinutesJanuary 22, March 18, April 15, and May 202022-2023 SHAC Meeting DatesSeptember 26, November 14, January 30, March 27, April 24 (Canceled), and May 15
April 24, 2023: CanceledFor more information about BISD SHAC, please contact Mr. P.J. Giamanco, BISD Assistant Superintendent, at 940-683-2273.
Approved SB9 Curriculum
Elementary (K-5th Grade)
Middle School (6th-8th Grade)
High Scchool (9th-12th Grade)